Petrovaradin Fortress is located in the on the right bank of the Danube river, oposite to Novi Sad. The cornerstone of the present-day southern part of the fortress was laid on October 18, 1692. Petrovaradin Fortress has many underground tunnels as well (16 km of underground countermine system).
It is an Austro-Hungarian fortification built during the war with the Otoman empire
In 1991 Petrovaradin Fortress was added to Spatial Cultural-Historical Units of Great Importance list, and it is protected by Republic of Serbia.
Some call it "Gibraltar on the Danube".
The clock tower on the fortress is one of the major landmarks of Novi Sad. It is known in the city as the "drunken clock", since the large needle shows the hours, and the small one shows the minutes, which was once normal, but is oposite to the standards of todays watches.
Since 2001, the fortress is the holding place of the international music festival EXIT.
Look for more information on Wikipedia.